Friday, June 13, 2008

summer reading (part 2)

I wanted to say thanks to the nice people who waited in line to pick up advance copies of Ghost Medicine at Book Expo America. Apparently, lots of them have been doing some summer reading on their own. I checked out the Barnes and Noble website this morning, and I saw that our galley readers have posted some very nice reviews of Ghost Medicine. Here are some excerpts from our very first fans:

1. I found this book to be shockingly easy to relate to, despite the settings and circumstances being different than my own. Andrew Smith is to be commended for his attention to detail and beautiful descriptions both of characters and the settings. Often times I found myself so engulfed in the story that I had completely stopped reading for the sole purpose of taking in the landscape the author had created in my mind. The story, however, is not without its twists and turns. I was so caught up in reading that I brought the book to work with me and read it instead of doing my job, and I nearly got caught a few times, but it was well worth it. I even stayed up until 4am because I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. It kept me guessing until the very last page, and when it was over, I was disappointed. Not because it was a bad book, but because I wanted there to be more of the characters whom I had grown to love. I would recommend this book to anyone, including you.

2. Truly a great story. Good for all ages. With a gripping plot line and fantastic story.

3. For a long time I was never able to find a book that interested me. I am a 17 year old male. I enjoy reading books about the outdoors. This book is the best book i have read in a long time.

4. A poignant and fast-paced narrative about teens--mostly boys--growing up: friendship, loyalty, young love, bullying, loved ones dying. Excellent concrete, sensory detail, especially of rugged terrain (lots of horse stuff) and minute but significant character actions. Found myself tearing up in spots where the emotions were extremely real. Looking forward to his next book.

5. I found it a stellar story of friendship, loyalty and trust. A must read for my book club! Hauntingly beautiful.


Thanks, readers! And... I will be at the American Library Association Annual Conference in Anaheim signing galleys on Saturday, June 28 in the Feiwel and Friends booth... but come early! We ran out of galleys at Book Expo America.