Sunday, August 31, 2008

setting smith off


Note: This is the second post today. So, I guess it counts as BEDFAM 7.5. I got an email from a talented author friend this morning, and I thought I'd share some of my (edited) response.

I've started to write you so many times. Yeah... I feel like I've fallen off the face of the earth. At least people are looking at your book. I haven't gotten into Booklist or SLJ... that's how much I suck.

And I really have been going insane.

I finished writing my fourth novel the first week in August. I think it's very good, but it's edgy (language). Anyway, I gave it to my agent. She's excited about it, but, crap, she has some majorly-huge clients and I am the god of nobody-ness.

But - finally! - I have work to do. When I don't write, I really go crazy, and I had timed finishing up my last novel with the expected revision work on IN THE PATH OF FALLING OBJECTS. I can't work on two stories at the same time. So, when that work ended up coming in late, I really went off the deep end.

No sleep. Just work. Thank God for having work to do, it's the only thing that's keeping me from taking a slow stroll in the carpool lane of the Golden State Freeway. I will finish this week. I have to. I won't have any free time after Tuesday. I'll be hiding from all the disgruntled people who want to throw dead cats and a hardcover copy of GHOST MEDICINE at my head.

Yeah... I could puke, too.

Sorry for the rant.

Are we there yet?

BEDFAM 7.5

-- A.S.