Monday, September 29, 2008

first rain

Today we got the first real rain up here in the mountains.

It was nice, but came at a most inopportune time. We were on our 5-mile run, about as far from home as we ever get, on top of a hill behind the old church, and then it was all rain and thunder and lightning. I didn't mind, but my wife has this completely irrational fear of thunderstorms. She just freezes up entirely, even inside the house.

Then, she asks one of those zen-like unanswerable questions:

"You think it's funny, don't you?"

Well. Yeah, I do. But, of course I didn't say that. I just pretended like I couldn't hear her.

Oh yeah. I like scaring her.

My daughter used to have one of these life-size carcinogenic and lead-based plastic Barbie dolls that was, I guess, about 3 feet tall. My wife was scared of that, too.

So, me being the sensitive type that I am, one April Fool's Day a couple years back, I got up really early and put the Barbie on the stairs like she was coming up to our room. Oh yeah... one little detail... I had her arm raised above her head and I taped a big butcher knife into her hand.

Then there was the ketchup dripping down her face, too.

It was all very tasteful and artistic, in my opinion, but sometimes, I guess, there's no accounting for what the viewing audience will accept as "art." Anyway, I wasn't at home when the discovery was made, but I do remember fielding a very angry phone call later that morning.

And we never saw that Barbie again, either.

BEDFAM 36

-- A. S.