Monday, March 16, 2009

connections


I guess every writer is looking for a sort of connection to his readers. It's probably one of the most satisfying results you can get from your work.

So I have a little story. As usual.

My father was one of ten children. I probably met only half of them at different times in my life, but haven't seen any of his brothers or sisters since I was a kid. Now, there are only four surviving: three brothers and a sister.

Yesterday, I got an email from my father's sister. She found me through my book, Ghost Medicine, and she asked me if I was the same Andrew Smith whose father and mother were named... Then she went on to tell me who she was, and if I was her nephew, she'd like to get me to autograph her book... but if I wasn't, then I could just ignore her email and not respond.

Thing is, I do remember Helen very well, even if the last time I saw her I was probably in Junior High School.

I'll be sending the book.