Wednesday, August 5, 2009

the audience in mind

The other day I participated in a brief discussion with two other writers, and one of them was kind of being a little pigheaded and proclaimed something to the effect that when you write, you must always first consider your audience.

The point pighead was trying to make was that a writer should always initiate his work with a kind of preconceived market analysis and target group to pitch to.

Well, if that's the case, then I suppose my intended audience for everything I write is...

ME.

Honestly... I do not think about tweens, babyboomers, disillusioned Gen-Xers, Yuppies, or any other audience "groups" when I write. I only think about writing something that I want to read.

Is that conceited? I wonder if other authors have that same attitude.

And I suppose, too, that the number of authors who adhere to the theology of pighead in mandating a predetermined buying population accounts for the vast quantity of books out there that are all about the same crap.

I don't know. What do you think?