Saturday, November 6, 2010

without game men prey on each other


I struggle with simple decisions like what to wear these days.

Today, I am heading down to the Skirball Center in Los Angeles to receive the Children's Literature Council's 2010 Distinguished Work of Fiction Award for my last novel, In the Path of Falling Objects.

Well, clearly it is not my last novel. The Marbury Lens comes out on Tuesday, and Stick will be coming out in 2011.

I have more, too.

But I'll be honest -- I have thought about stopping. When I was a kid, there were times when I would just disappear for long stretches of time. Go away.

Three days. You know the first thing I'm going to do when The Marbury Lens comes out? Well, after I send off a personalized copy of the hardback with a note inside for the winner of the Goodreads contest, I am going to vanish from the Goodreads universe.

That site can really depress me. It makes me feel like I've accidentally wandered into some room where there are all these people who've assembled to do some ambush intervention and I've never met any of them, and they don't care about that, and I'm just, like, am I in the wrong fucking place, or what? but I'm not allowed to interrupt my interventionists.

And they know everything about me.

Sounds like a terrible nightmare, or the plot of another excavation into darkness.

I'll post stuff about the award ceremony today or tomorrow, depending.

But I'm out the door right now.