Tuesday, October 18, 2011

lucky, a cigarette run, and the bison


This weekend, I will be down in Long Beach for the Southern California Independent Booksellers Association's Author's Feast and Trade Show.

On Saturday evening, at the Long Beach Hilton, SCIBA is awarding the 2011 SCIBA Book Awards.

The Marbury Lens is one of four finalists in the "Children's Novel" category.

Um.

It is very flattering to have my book on the list of finalists, but a bit unnerving, too.

Just to make certain there was no mix-up, I did a Google search of any other books that came out this past year whose titles rhyme with The Marbury Lens.

Damn.

Some former child actor wrote a picture book about pink chickens called The Strawberry Hens.

I knew it.

Shit.

A couple weeks ago, I got an email from an actual genetically-related cousin of mine.

My cousin said I don't think your book will win an award in the "Children's Novel" category because it has too many f-bombs in it.

I went to a SCIBA Awards dinner a couple years ago, and afterward hung out in the bar with some really great writers to hang out in a bar with.

This year... I am not so sure.

I am worried about the whole "rhyming book" and "too many f-bombs" catastrophe.

You can look for me there.

I will be all alone after the event.

In the bar.

Signing copies of The Strawberry Hens.