Tuesday, February 26, 2013

in wisconsin



I know what you're thinking.

You're thinking, when is he going to get on to Part Seven of How to Write Novels?

I was right, wasn't I?

Well, it's coming soon. It's the swashbuckling installment of my online course. Hopefully, you've been keeping up and have accumulated all the necessary accoutrement detailed in lessons one thru six.

This morning, immersed as I am in a deadline hell rivaling Marbury in degree of magnitude (and why can I not stop myself from going back?), I popped over to Mount Horeb High School, which is coincidentally located in Mount Horeb Wisconsin, for a visit with some amazingly bright kids.

By the way, I had meant to ask them if there was actually a Mount in Mount Horeb. I tried to look it up online, but got tired after a while.

Anyway, I visited the school via Skype.

Don't laugh--it was the first time I had ever Skyped with anyone in my life.

I lost my Skype virginity at  Mount Horeb High School.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. I made sure to be wearing pants in case I had to stand up during the session, too; and I removed all the incriminating evidence that would naturally have been on display in the background of my office.

All the kids at Mount Horeb High School had been reading The Marbury Lens, Stick, and In the Path of Falling Objects. They asked great questions about writing, how I do what I do, and specific things about my books.

Mount Horeb High School: Thanks for having me out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to hell, which is located inside my office here in Southern California.